Sunday, February 8, 2015

Interpreting Hamlet

While passing through Frankfort, Kentucky, last summer, I found Poor Richard's Bookstore.  I couldn't resist it--a new-to-me spot and an independent bookstore at that.  The downstairs area of this one is quite comfortable, but it's the upstairs that makes all of the difference.  I wandered into an attic--full of old, used titles on shelves, tabletops, the floor, everywhere.  It's a book hunter's dream.  So I looked for and found the Shakespeare section.  One of the titles I grabbed was an critical anthology entitled Interpreting Hamlet.  With numerous short essays on the play (and a low price), I couldn't pass it up.

The book has finally made it from the "to do" list to the "in process" list.  (It's great for leaving on my desk at work and picking up between classes or during other school downtime.)

While there will be posts to come from the material in the book, this post gives me a chance to introduce the book, and the bookstore.  If you happen to be in Frankfort, visit the State Capitol and then visit Poor Richard's.  You will not be disappointed by either destination.



No comments:

Post a Comment