Sunday, November 17, 2013

Hamlet at Stratford (Ontario)

In 2008, Hamlet brought me to the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Ontario.  It was my second trip to Stratford, the first having been entirely forgettable.  This one was much the opposite, resulting in the best stage production of Hamlet that I had seen to that point (and to the point of typing this post).

I noted first the intimacy of the Festival Theatre and the excellent sight lines.  The fact that I was in the front row of the balcony might have had something to do with that.  In looking through the playbill, I noticed that the production was set in 1910, during the Edwardian Era.  That was a new twist in the productions I'd seen.  I will admit, though, that I was apprehensive; the previous production I had seen at Stratford had been modernized and it did not work.  This time, though, it was well played.

Several things stand out five years later.  Ben Carlson's performance as Hamlet was excellent.  He was engaging, in the role, even if he was older than college age.  It was a convincing, even exciting portrayal.  The wit that is not always evident in Hamlet was on display here.  I found myself laughing during a tragedy.  (Is that allowed?)  The final scene, when Hamlet and Horatio say farewell, was particularly powerful.

The costuming and staging, especially in the modern context, were interesting.  The cast were attired in suits, high collars, some tweeds and sweaters.  There was a military influence evident in the wardrobe.  Other more modern influences appeared on stage--rifles and, in the scene between Laertes and Claudius, a pool table.  Modernity aside, though, the climactic sword fight remained a sword fight.

Although it was a long production, it did not feel that way.  I don't recall any obvious deletions to the text, although there must have been some to keep the play to a running timg of approximately three hours.

One other item that still remains with me was the trapdoor and lift in the stage.  It allowed for, among other things, an actual grave for Ophelia.  I believe it was the first time that I had seen this done live on stage, and it made for a much more realistic cemetery sequence.  (As an aside, the Festival Theatre offered a backstage and below stage tour, which I took the following morning.  I was able to see the trapdoor and lift up close.  If you should have the chance someday to make the trip, stay for the tour!)

This performance of Hamlet ranks highly in my canon, and it has become the benchmark by which I measure other productions.  Perhaps that is unfair for the others, but not for this performance, which well deserves the honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment