Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Brief Interlude

In reflecting on Hamlet, I recalled one of the first times I saw a portion of the play performed.  It was 1993, and I was a high school senior.  College visits brought me to Georgetown University.  One of the activities for prospective students and parents was a short course by Professor Michael Collins.  He taught English at the University.  (I have no idea whether he is still there.)  He spoke on Hamlet, specifically the role of Polonius.  The discussion centered on Polonius' parting advice to Laertes.  Although Polonius always has ulterior motives, what if the speech were sincere?  Perhaps it could be a father trying truly to give lasting advice to a son who is leaving.  That would certainly fit the moment that the prospective students and parents would be facing several months hence.  Then Prof. Collins performed the speech himself.  It was, as I recall, well done.  The fact that it stands out twenty years later must mean something.



No comments:

Post a Comment